Thursday 26 July 2012

On the Road Again

Yesterday, I boarded my first business flight in fourteen months as I started an exciting consulting assignment in the U.S.


It took seconds for me to click into travel mode--packing efficiently, setting multiple alarms for 4 a.m., navigating airport security--and feel confidence gained through years of experience. It was like watching a movie you had seen before: there is comfort in knowing the actors, scenes, and ending. 


I had forgotten about the perks that come with travel loyalty programs -- free breakfast, free magazines (Art News, Cottage Life - the next best thing to owning one, Flying - for may dad), boarding first, and the occasional upgrade. I know these trinkets are momentary amusements that come with the price of being away from home, but they are fun.



The business travel industry works hard to make customers feel special. This is how I felt when the driver who drove me to the airport said, "I picked you up a couple of times last year and guessed you had stopped travelling." I told him about my book and he seemed genuinely interested. This was the best perk of all. 

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment