Friday 11 July 2014

Approach a Computer Set Up Like a Change Project

My New Computer
This week, I set up my new computer. I had been using my son's old computer after he had upgraded to a "gaming" model four years ago. 

My rationale for an upgrade was productivity. Internet pages weren't loading quickly and documents were, saving slowly; it was time to invest in speed.

I am not tech savvy, but usually I can get things to work. I took a "just get it done" approach to setting up my new toy.


Set Up Wasn't This Easy
First, I transferred files from my old computer. No problem. Then I started loading software programs. Some weren't compatible with my Windows upgrade. Also, setting up one of my printers was a hassle. The driver wasn't even listed in the set up menu. 

My challenges continued. When I thought I was up and running, I was slowed down by what seemed like endless adjustments to factory default settings. Nothing looked the same as before. For example, while writing this post, I found that I was missing my cropping function for pictures. Where did it go and how do I get it back? 

As my productivity continued to dip I found myself longing for the good ole days when I was using my old computer. That's when I realized I was struggling with change, just like the people I help lead and manage change at work. 

What would I say to myself to get out of the 'valley of despair' of change? I would:
  • Remind myself of why the change needed to happen and the cost of using my old computer
  • Keep the main benefit of the change front and centre: increased productivity
  • Set realistic expectations for the transition period  - I am not a technician, so it will take me longer to diagnose and fix problems, and some will not be solved
  • Create a sequenced plan and realistic timeline to complete the project
  • Enlist people with the skills I don't have - computer technical skills would have been good
  • Celebrate small wins: I eventually transferred my Outlook data across versions of Office - high five!
I have a few more programs to load and settings to change before completing my transition to stress-free computing. I will have successfully transitioned to a faster computer. I will also have learned many tips for my next upgrade. My last piece of self-advice is to take a few minutes to write them down.

Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment