Friday 20 February 2015

How to Make the Most of Business Travel

My flight from Zurich to Munich was on time, which was a good start to journey home to Toronto. It has been a year since I have traveled outside of North America and a few since I did so almost weekly.

The rituals of business travel came back to me faster than I thought, from packing efficiently to researching local transit and store schedules. I even remembered to take melatonin pills on the overnight flight to regulate my sleep cycle and minimize jet lag. I was back in the business traveler zone.

What I had forgotten were the many benefits of international travel, which help counterbalance the losses of leaving your family. They are often unexpected, exciting and inspiring. Here are the ones that I noticed this week:

  • Experience a new culture -- day-to-day differences in culture are fascinating. I feel like pinching myself every time I am abroad
  • Increase your knowledge -- reading local magazines and newspapers provide glimpses of what is important
  • Broaden your perspectives -- talking with people about their lives expands your frame of reference and makes you more tolerant of different realities
  • See old friends -- this trip I saw great people who I had worked with many years ago The highlight was being invited out to dinner by an old friend and his wife (a new friend)
  • Practice your manners -- a test of character, especially when things go wrong and you don't speak the local language
  • Take time for reflection -- the best time to reflect is when you are in a new environment, without distraction of your regular commitments and schedule 

My second flight of the day, from Munich to Toronto, is also posted as being on time. It looks like I will return home without incident, tired and motivated. I don't want to forget my new experiences so I can make the most of my business travel. 

Phil



No comments:

Post a Comment